Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Getting There...

Since this is my first Pubwalk blog post, some quick background around the motivations. I love bar-hopping, my friends will attest to it - having lived in NYC a few yrs ago (and now SF), Citysearch was pretty much the defacto for finding bar information etc for exploring the different neighborhoods. (Note, now we have Yelp and others that are doing a great job as well...)

One of the issues with Citysearch was that I always found it difficult to plot routes if I wanted to hit a series of bars in a particular district, I'd resort to writing down the names of the bars and cross-streets and sometimes even Mapquest directions; this was definitely not the best approach.

So this created Pubwalk, a project I did for fun to help myself! It was also a good excuse to mess with AJAX (very hyped when I had started) and with Google Maps (only map API available when I started).

Pubwalk merges Citysearch data with Google Maps. You can view different districts, search for bars (all plotted against a map), plan a route, share that route or save it for later. Plus, being a mobile person (see my homepage), you can send the pub directions to your phone. You can also find late-night eating for those really drunken nights.

Two other interesting twists, you can state that you are going to this bar - this becomes pretty interesting, if there are a lot of users, you can see where people are going each night. You can also leave daily notes to post a particular event or activity or to just chat; the notes are refreshed daily.

FYI, I've no plan to integrate my own ratings or permanent comments, Citysearch does that and I link to them - I'm just trying to enhance the bar-hoppers experience.

So the version I released today is SF specific - there is an option for the Bay Area but I don't think my bar information for that area is complete - 90% of them are there but not 100%.

This is a super-beta and I'm seeking feedback / bugs etc. Post feature ideas below, but note that I am holding off on new features until this version stable. Once stable, I will add all the major cities and then I'll get back to adding features.

A designer will be looking at this site soon to spruce it up, but if any of you have any design ideas, feel free to post those as well.

Enjoy, all feedback appreciated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Galveston, TX...Poor Michael's on the Strand, 2007 Strand, Irish pub, has live music(Blues & Classic Rock) every night, pool tables, dart boards, 7 TVs(including a 65"), sports lounge area, 3 bars, limited food service, full liquor bar, 7 beers on tap, 11am to 2am, good prices.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please correct our listing.Krizek Lake Church Inn should be Lake Church Inn,Sports Tavern & Grill 690 County Hwy D Lake Church(Belgium),WI 53004 (262)285-3475 Thanks, 'Uncle Dave'

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home